May 19, 2022 is the 11th annual celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD). This online global event is intended to raise awareness about the impact of inaccessibility on the more than one billion people worldwide who experience disabilities. Join people at Wake and around the world in spreading awareness and learning more about digital inclusion through accessibility.
Below are 5 ways to celebrate GAAD. We hope you will join us in learning and sharing with others!
- Try out this Accessibility Maze from Ryerson University for a fun way to learn about web accessibility barriers and how to make websites more accessible for everyone.
- Check out #GAAD, #GAAD2022, and #a11y on social media to learn more and share how you’re working to make a more accessible digital world.
- Sign up for a free virtual professional development event on June 16th! The Join the Journey: 2022 Digital Accessibility Conference offers a day of presentations for all NC higher ed faculty and staff to learn more about accessible course design, social media accessibility, accessibility testing basics, and more. The conference is organized by the NC Higher Ed Digital Accessibility Collaborative (a UNC Cause group). Register for this event!
- If you normally use a mouse or trackpad to navigate online, consider playing the hocus:focus game about keyboard navigation to learn more about how keyboard accessibility works and the challenges that inaccessible web components create for people navigating with a keyboard.
- Join virtual events from SiteImprove during their day of GAAD for Good: Say hello to a future with purpose.
Thanks for joining in celebrating Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) 2022! On GAAD and every other day, you’re invited to check out the Technology Accessibility Program for resources, events, or to schedule time to discuss enhancing accessibility at Wake!